is saturated with FRC
    information

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    iTrader Rating
    24 (100%)

Default The Pokemon Dictionary

This is a compilation of common words and abbreviations used in competitive Pokémon that might be hard to understand if you are new to the competitive scene. I hope this will be useful for people. It is far from complete, but I hope that as people post ideas, it will evolve and become more useful as time passes. I hope my formulations (is that a word?) are easy to understand, but if something is unclear, you disagree with something I have written, or you have a change that is simply better, please tell.

POKÉMON ROLES

Wall – A Pokémon that – through base stats, typing and/or ability – can switch in to certain opposing Pokémon without much regard for their attacks. A wall will only be able to stop the subset of Pokémon it takes little damage from. It is characterized by high defensive stats. Example: Blissey

Sweeper – A Pokémon that – through base stats, typing and/or ability – can deal considerable damage to an opponents team with its attacks. It is characterized by high offensive stats and high speed, often but not always coupled with stat boosting moves such as Swords Dance. Example: Infernape

Tank – A Pokémon that – through base stats, typing and/or ability – is capable of dealing solid damage while also being able to sustain a lot of damage itself. It is typically not as strong or as speedy as a sweeper, and not as defensive as a wall, but is often capable of boosting its stats to very high levels. Example: Gyarados

Lead – A Pokémon that – through base stats, typing and/or ability – is capable of swinging a match in your direction. They are very diverse in nature, and can do anything from setting up entry hazards to sweeping from the get-go. An opponents lead will typically tell a lot about his strategy. Example: Metagross

Phazer - A Pokémon that - through item, ability or move - is capable of making an opponent switch to a random Pokémon on the opponents team, either to stop a Pokémon that has set up or to cause residual damage (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock) to more of the opponents team.

In addition to these, there are more specific roles that are often referred to. They are usually self-explanatory, often being named after a move or an opponents reaction. Examples are Sleeper and Annoyer. Note that any one Pokémon can fit in multiple roles, eg. a Salamence can be both a sweeper and a tank.

PLAYSTYLES

Stall – A playstyle focusing on wearing down an opponent with entry hazards, weather effects and/or status. It is characterized by using Walls to stop the opponents Pokémon. Commonly use a Tank to deal with more diverse threats.

AOA – All-Out Attack. A playstyle focusing on using the strongest Pokémon available, to break through the opponents walls. Players using this playstyle rarely has any regard for defensive Pokémon, and want all their team to be offensive threats.

Bulky Offense – A playstyle focusing on using mostly Tanks that have good typing synergy with each other, so that the opponent will find it hard to prey on weaknesses. The Pokémon will usually have stat-up moves or other strategies to become extreme offensive threats.

Balance – A playstyle focusing on utilizing sweepers, walls and tanks in equal measure to execute a game plan. The game plan is more important in these teams than in most others, because of their lack of emphasis on either walling or sweeping.

COMMON ABBREVIATIONS

OHKO – One Hit Knock-Out
    xHKO – x Hit Knock-Out where x is a number. Ex. 2HKO.
    Sac – Sacrifice. Involves leaving a Pokémon in the battle that has no chance of survival, to get a free switch-in for a Pokémon capable of dealing with the opponent. Common tactic in offensive, frail teams.
    DC – Disconnect. Happens, intentionally or not, quite frequently when doing WiFi battles. In Gym battles on PokeFarm it results in an automatic win for the Gym leader.
    LO – Life Orb
    Lefties
    - Leftovers
    CB – Choice Band
    CS
    – Choice Scarf or Choice Specs
    Last edited by Bobreeder; 01-02-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Updated lead and sweeper

Pokemon Trainer
    Umbral Lines = Update soon +
    EVENT! SKYRIM = WOOT! é

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    iTrader Rating
    12 (100%)

This is a nice collection of terms, Thor! Thanks!
    Perhaps it should get stickied?
    Look! I've got FANFICS:
    To Conquer Worlds: A Platinum Nuzlocke Challenge
    Umbral Lines - A Story of Unova

Also, take a look at: Those Who Know How Not To Be Seen: A group for lovers of Pokémon and Monty Python!

GO SPURS GO!!!

Pokemon Trainer Student
    Check Out my latest Farming
    event!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    iTrader Rating
    22 (100%)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FRAWG D11

Good, work man. Should'a saved it for the PRESS.

Couple things:

Might mention that sweepers typically involve a little bit of set up.

Leads are are designed to initially swing the battle in the direction that you want it to go and are very diverse in nature. Observing leads can also tell you alot about an opponents playstyle.

Annoyer - Example: SPIRITOMB
    doubles as a Suedo wall and a special sweeper.
    0_0 soon.

Little Big Man
    is saturated with FRC
    information

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    iTrader Rating
    24 (100%)

Thanks I decided to make it a forum thread as that makes it easier to find when you need to refresh your memory.
    I'll edit a bit based on the rest of your reply, Frawg.

Pokemon Trainer
    Umbral Lines = Update soon +
    EVENT! SKYRIM = WOOT! é

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    iTrader Rating
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Annoyer - Example: SPIRITOMB
    doubles as a Suedo wall and a special sweeper.
    Who're you callin' Annoying? I love Spiritomb... That's all...
    Otherwise good input, Frawg.
    Look! I've got FANFICS:
    To Conquer Worlds: A Platinum Nuzlocke Challenge
    Umbral Lines - A Story of Unova

Also, take a look at: Those Who Know How Not To Be Seen: A group for lovers of Pokémon and Monty Python!

GO SPURS GO!!!